16.7.09

Things Learned/Developed While in Cusco

A short list of things that I have learned or developed while living in Cusco:
  • Showers are typically heated with electricity, meaning that more water pressure is colder while less water is hotter. In actuality, there's only two choices cold and boiling hot trickle.
  • Night do hit freezing here. On a bad night, below freezing. Thank God for my Denali.
  • I have developed a sixth sense for oncoming cars. Cusconians (sp?) have never heard of the concept, pedestrian's right of way, instead it's cars' right of way here. So when crossing the street, the slightest hum of a car engine would trigger me to walk faster or not walk at all.
  • My seventh sense is for dog shit. The city of Cusco, and not surprisingly probably most of Peru, are the stray dogs' bathroom. So while power-walking through the cold, I know to swerve from fresh or dried dog shit. Oh, how I wish Harvey Milk lived here to introduce the concept of picking up your shit.
  • Related to the previous note: I have never seen a dog on a leash here. Dogs are simply guard dogs here and my house has a dusty lil' grey terrier; yes, I feel safe.
  • Never expect to get a seat on a Cambi, vans acting as buses. Not matter the gender, the age, or the disability, it's a first come, first serve world here.
  • How to look for an official taxi: there are plenty are cars acting as taxis by simply attaching a sticker, saying TAXI on the front window. So instead you have to look out for the checkered pattern on the side of the car. At night especially, but the occasional non-lighted street poses a probelm.
  • Because of the high altitude here in Cusco and the fact that soda is probably shipped in from Lima, the soda explodes on you, when opening. So open the bottle of soda in bag.
  • Taxis honk at you, especially gringos, in order to get some business. Taxis also honk at you when you're about to crash into them. So never ignore them.
  • Like there exists Filipino time, which is typically 15 minutes plus the designated time, there is Peruvian time, which is probably edging 20-30 minutes. So, always bring something to do.
  • As una china riding a Cambi everyday, I get stares from all the passenger on the van/bus. The best way to make them stop is to stare back, and then they eventually back off.
  • Learned not to be insulted that Peruvians insist on slanting one eye when having learned that you're Chinese. Not that I ever was, considering my Dad jokes around, calling us Orientals.
  • That your body may just never warm up at night. Even under four layers of blankets.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Peruvian time sounds just right for me. Hey, maybe when you're on a cambi, you can try to wink at some babies again.

    ReplyDelete