28.10.09

Tuk Tuk? You Want Tuk Tuk?

Well, everything's a good price in Bangkok. From the street-vendor pad thai for 25 Bahts(=.75USD) to the 15 mins metered taxi for 60 Bahts (1.90USD), everything is jaw-droppingly cheap. Immediately after leaving the airport, mistakenly arriving at Khao San Road, I exchanged my 150 USD's for Thai Baht. In return, I got crisp, not even one slight crinkle Bahts. With the exchange rate of 33.3 Baht per 1 US Dollar, I had literally a wad of cash that my wallet could not even close. Talk about monopoly money.

Spending only four days, I went to Khao San Road (the backpackers' haven, they call it), ziplined through the forests/jungles, ate savory and sweet street foods in plastic bags that will probably give me cancer, petted a baby tiger, baby crocodile, and ginormous elephant, walked through a line of loitering prostitutes, was assisted by ladyboy-waitresses/ers, took off my shoes (again. Note Seoul) in order to step into an establishment, raided a 7-11 for midnight snacks, played calculator-bargaining war with street sellers, unknowingly taken to a tailor shop by a tuk tuk driver, and finally, was repeatedly offered a ping pong show (Wikipedia has a more than necessary description). Bangkok: check. Exhaustion: check.

Like Jimmy Fallon's late-night talk show, where he introduces a new segment almost every night to win back those lost viewers from the transition of Conan to Fallon, I bring you my newest segment: Coupon Clippings!!!!

Coupon Clippings: Bangkok, Thailand

1.5L Bottle of Water: .20 USD
Metro Train Ride: .60-.90 USD
Fun-Size Bag of Lay's Chips: .30 USD
Pad Thai with Chicken: 1 USD

Iced Milk Tea: .30 USD

Tourist T Shirts: 3 USD
Postcard: .12 USD

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Just wait til you get to Europe! We'll see where your coupon clippings section goes then.

    Do you have anymore trips planned before you leave btw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...

    If I want to go to Taiwan or Singapore, I better get on it now.

    ReplyDelete