31.1.10

One Month Mark in England

The 31st! The 31st!

Like my previous stays in Peru and in Hong Kong, I now celebrate the one-month mark in England. The sun finally came out from under the clouds, the snow is receding, and I can finally get some vitamin D! Funny to think, that reaching the one-month mark in Peru was such a struggle, but every one-month-er after that has been a "oh yeah" after I look on my pocket calendar.
Nothing terribly exciting to report on about my first month in England. The past week, I did see Prince Charles, who turned out to be a small man, and who honestly lacks any natural regal presence beyond his camel wool coat. But, he is a very nice man, who chatted with irritated, frostbitten college students who waited outside for an hour to catch a sighting.
Despite my constant complaining about the weather and the quirky slang, I have fallen in love with the fact that Britons have terribly food and therefore rely on jars of already-made curry sauces to add flavor. I have never eaten so much Thai Red Curry or Tikka Masala, but I'm not complaining but do ask me at the two-month mark. I have discovered that I am a wonderful cook but have yet to develop an annoying voice like Julia Child or the enthusiam of Emeril Lagasse.

Last week, I bought a half-dozen bagels for breakfast and was repeatedly mocked as 'the American' on my flat. England doesn't seem to have a language barrier, but definitely a food barrier.
Song Playing: In the Sun by She & Him
Location: Norwich, England, UK

No comments:

Post a Comment