4.8.09

Last Week!


I can now say I am have been here for more than a month now! Time certainly flew by fast but at the sight of seeing my fellow volunteers leave on Sunday, it's not flying fast enough! Even though I am so ready for hot showers, hot water in sinks, warmth, traffic laws, dogs on leashes, and pedestrian's right of way, I did sign up for a 5 week program and should not settle on anything shorter.

Going to the airport on Sunday with Emily and, more or less, everyone else was the biggest tease of my life. Bigger than those Harry Potter trailers! Standing in line for check-in, yelling over the LAN airlines counter, and frantically resolving any flight complications all teased me about my non-existent flight back to the States that day! And, of course, being on the verge of tears, as people walked up the escalators toward security. Hello, last scene in Garden State with Natalie Portman. 'No, it's not an ending/period, just an elipsis.' What bullshit, Zach Braff! Fortunately, my flight on Monday the 10th, I will not be alone but I will not be ready for a 30 hour trip back home. Layovers when flying home are the most torturous! For the time, being I am hanging out at the ProPeru office, like it's my best friend, clinging onto the desktop circa 2000.

For this week, I have to have an intense souvenir shopping session, spending the last of my Soles, probably on little llama statues. Which reminds me, for my newfound hate of airport tax. 5 dollars to get out of Cusco to Lima, and then 30 dollars to leave Lima. I think this should be investigated as some form of ransom for my month.half long kidnapping in Peru. Homeland Security, work your wonders! I barely spend that much in a week here! I prefer my airport tax, hidden in my airfare, which mysteriously jumps several hundred dollars after I choose the flight on Travelocity. Please con me that way from now on!

Anyway, several more days to go before I am back in the States. Only for 9 days before I am off to Asia, so catch me if you can (I want to be Leo, and you be can Tom Hanks. Receding hairlines so do not bring out my eyes.)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you cared about Harry Potter...

    ReplyDelete